News Flash

Social Services

Posted on: January 19, 2023

COVID 19 SNAP Emergency Allotments Ending

NY State

COVID 19 SNAP Emergency Allotments

Since March 2020, Congress temporarily increased SNAP benefits because of the COVID-19 public health emergency. Supplemental EA SNAP benefits were issued to households in addition to their normal monthly SNAP benefit amount. As a result, households received more SNAP benefits each month than they would have normally been eligible for based on their income and expenses.

Congress passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023 in December 2022 that ended the supplemental EA benefits. February 2023 is the last month that supplemental EA benefits will be issued, and your SNAP benefits will return to the normal amount in March 2023. The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) and your local social services district do not have control over this change.

The federal government is not allowing New York State to issue supplemental EA SNAP benefits, households cannot request a Fair Hearing for the loss of the supplement.

Beginning in March 2023, you will only receive your normal monthly SNAP benefit for as long as you are eligible. You will no longer receive your SNAP Emergency Supplemental Benefit.

To ensure you are receiving an accurate SNAP benefit, households that recently experienced loss of income or an increase in expenses, such as housing costs, childcare fees, child support payments or have allowable medical expenses over $35 (for those age 60 or older, or disabled), can report changes to their local district office which may result in an increase in the household's normal monthly SNAP benefit.

If you need more help with food, visit to locate food pantries in your area.

If you have children under age 5 and/or are pregnant or breastfeeding, you may be eligible for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC). Visit the NYS WIC Program website and click on the Wanda icon to see if you may be eligible.

Heating assistance is available through the Home Energy Assistance Program. Please contact your local Department of Social Services office for a HEAP application or apply online at

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Social Services