Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
We've been asked questions about sharing the road with slow-moving vehicles as it relates to the law. Check the link https://bit.ly/3wBhKWa for a quick guide the NYS Sheriff's Association put together. If you would like a printed version, stop by the Sheriff's Office or send an email to [email protected] and we will get one to you.
When motorists encounter a slow-moving vehicle on the roadway they should:
-Slow down immediately when you see a vehicle or equipment with a SMV emblem in the road
- Increase following distance to create a safety cushion
- Be alert and watch for turns into fields
- Drive courteously
- Pass with care only when it is safe and legal to do so
- Be aware that animal-powered vehicles may make unanticipated movements
- Remember SMV operators may have poor visibility due to loads and equipment in tow
- Be aware that equipment in tow may sway on the road