Areas of Assistance
The goal of the Washington County Planning Department is to provide the resources and technical expertise necessary to allow communities within the County to implement the planning and development goals that fit their needs.
The Washington County Planning Department is available to help municipalities in Washington County with community and land use planning activities. Some common areas of assistance are:
- Comprehensive plan creation and updates
- Changes to local zoning ordinances
- Creation or updating of land use regulations such as subdivision, site plan, right-to-farm laws, mobile home ordinances, and others
- Creation of agricultural and farmland protection plans
- General community strategic planning activities
- Other forms of assistance as requested
New York as a Home Rule State
By State Law New York is a Home Rule State, which means that decisions of land use and community development are made by each municipality.
Municipal Home Rule Chapter 36-A